Monday, October 8, 2007

Arriving in China, Saturday, October 6

I have arrived in China! The flight from Detroit to Beijing (with a quick stop in Tokyo) took about 18 hours. Navigating through the airports in both Tokyo and Beijing was very easy. There were no lines at either quarantine, immigration, or customs. I waited maybe 3 minutes for my luggage. We landed at 9:15 PM and I was out the door at 9:40. I have never had that kind of service at Detroit Metro! Tina from the Tianjin CDC was waiting for me right outside the door with a driver and a bottle of water. An EXCELLENT welcome. Only very important people get picked up from an airport 2 hours from their destination with a driver.

We arrived in Tianjin close to midnight. My apartment is very nice with all new furnishings. Someone had stocked the refrigerator with some food and bought all the toiletries I could possibly need. All in all, an incredibly generous and thoughtful welcome. Well, it's 2 AM and I'll try to get some sleep. Tina will be here at 10 AM to take me shopping!

No comments: