Monday, October 8, 2007

Shopping, Sunday, October 8

Wow! Now this is a Supermarket! It's about a 10 minute walk from my apartment. It is a very interesting walk with one paved lane shared by the mostly one-way car traffic along with two-way bicycle and pedestrian traffic. There is packed dirt on one side, but it had rained early this morning so there were many puddles to navigate around. We explored three floors of shopping. The ground floor has individual shops with various items such as jewelry, home decor, clothing, and specialty foods (such as a tea shop). The second floor held housewares, clothing, toiletries, and toys. The third floor was groceries. Think of a small mall on the ground floor with a Meijer's stacked on top. Moving ramps allowed you to take your shopping cart from one floor to the next.

I had thought shopping would be difficult as I would have difficulty deciphering labels and prices. This was not the case. While some labels remained a mystery to me, most of the time I could figure out what the product was (of course, I had Tina there to translate for me). All prices were written in numbers, not chinese characters, so that was also not a problem. Because I spent a certain amount, I took my receipt to a station where I could get either 6 eggs or a 2L of Coke for free! I took the Coke :)

Tomorrow (actually today as it's 2 AM) I'm off the the police station to register and then on to the CDC!

No comments: